I’m only a few days late on this one! *smiles*
So… did you all get to read the fabulous ‘Mysterious Benedict Society’? I had never read it before this month and I finished it in less than three days… I loved it!
I was able to do some research and I found these questions to help prompt your thoughts (You can also comment with ANY aspect of the book that you either liked or disliked, the questions are just there for fun.) I plan on answering some of them too, but probably after my mom, dad, and new sister get back from China… Until then, I’m swamped.
1. Mr. Benedict recruits children who are all alone in the world. Why? Is it a good reason, or a bad one?
2. Reynie says he doesn’t like television. Do you believe him? How do YOU feel about television? What kinds of messages really do come through TV, radio, and movies? Are they usually positive or negative?
3. Why is it so important for the Society to stay together and work as a team? Even though Constance seems to be a burden at times, what does she bring to the mission?
4. This book shows kids living very independently. For instance, before Mr. Benedict found them, Constance was living in a city library, Kate had joined the circus, and Sticky stowed away on a river barge. Do you think it’s really possible for kids to live like that? Do you think kids should be allowed such independence? Would you like to live on your own? What would you do?
5. At The Learning Institute for the Very Enlightened (L.I.V.E.), the children in the Mysterious Benedict Society are taught that there are no rules. What is ironic about this statement? Is there any truth to it?
6. There are several ranks at LI.V.E., including Executives and Messengers. What are the benefits of being an Executive? A Messenger? How do the kids serving in these roles differ from the members of the Mysterious Benedict Society? How are they the same?
7. What is the Whisperer? Why does it make the Messengers feel so good about themselves? Why are Reynie and Sticky so terrified to become Messengers? Are their fears founded?
8. Ledroptha Curtain and Mr. Benedict are both men guided by very strong beliefs that are very different — in what ways are
they similar? Do you think that they could ever work together? Why?
9. Which of the four members of the Mysterious Benedict Society do you think has the best skill? Why?
10. What is YOUR special skill? What role would you play in the Mysterious Benedict Society?
11. How has the Mysterious Benedict Society helped each member grow? What do you think will happen to each of them in the future?
For some fun, check out the Curiosity Chronicle- the book’s official website… it has games, downloads, and other oddities